Friday, August 24, 2012

throw yourself into the road darling, you haven't got a chance

Wednesday night me and some buds went to see Withnail & I at the Queen of Hoxton Rooftop Cinema Club. Now, I have seen this film approximately 23,000 times (because I am a horrible student cliche) and it is my favourite in the world, even more than Clueless or Blade Runner or anything with Humphrey Bogart :O





The bar is great anyway, all bunting and fake grass and blankets to cover your knees while you get covertly hammered on bottles of wine after having skipped lunch & dinner (...getting in the spirit of the film, OBVIOUSLY).

As well as being totally heartbreaking and cough-up-your-lungs funny, its aesthetic is an utterly flawless blend of mud/rain/Edwardiana/grimy pubs/faded gentlemanly glamour/60s bohemia/grey kitchen sink modernism/nostalgia for a non-existent Wodehouseian Albion. From the one busted headlight on their Jaguar MKII to the liberty print cushions in their Camden flat and the casually poignant shot of Marwood reading Journey's End, from Monty's persian cat and Withnail's polythene-shod attempt at sensible countrywear to the wolves in Regent's Park, every detail is perfect.



















13 comments:

  1. aajsahasd this post is insane, I love this film and you look great! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ive actually never seen that film, but now i obviously have to. your outfit is also really nice. I love the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loveee that film! Sounds like a fab night and you look amazing....that coat!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I intend to marry your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great trench, it looks amazing!

    xoxo
    Froso
    Style Nirvana✩

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous outfit, I've got serious envy over the Burberry trench! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my all time fave films. Rooftop cinema sounds insane. haha

    broganft.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your outfit is great!you coat is to die for...!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. this post has just reminded me of two v.important things I need to do: 1. finally watch the end of Withnail and I. 2. attend a screening at the rooftop cinema club (every year I intend to go - clearly I am just rubbish). Yes to that coat - amazing find X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha completely agree with the 'i hate school'... I need another holiday! Love your sense of style, this outfits really lovely :)
    Anna

    http://opshopaholic.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete